493rd BG Debach Hangar Dance and Open Day 6/7th June

Anyone in the South East/East Anglia area going to the 493rd Bomb Group open day at Debach airfield this year? Bodge and I are going, so I hope that doesn't put you off!

Trade, vehicles, re-enactors, a great museum set in the control tower, and possibly a fly by or two. Here's a few pictures from past years to get your juices flowing.

debach1.jpg

debach2.jpg

debach4.jpg

debach5.jpg

debach6.jpg

debach7.jpg

debach9.jpg

debach12.jpg

debach13.jpg

• 2 months later...

Was a very good show last time we went (our ambulance and jeep can be seen behind the other ambulance in the second from last pic) unfortunatley we're on the wrong side of the channel could be at loads of shows that weekend!!!

Hope all who go enjoy themselves.

:goodidea:

So far, the likely list of familiar faces will be me, Lynne, Bodge, Clive Stevens, and Paul Marriott, and if that isn't enough to draw the crowds in, I don't know what is!!!

Well I was going..... only kidding! I'll be there with the Sherman. Tell Bodge I'll wear a steel helmet this time.....:goodidea:

:goodidea:

Well I was going..... only kidding! I'll be there with the Sherman. Tell Bodge I'll wear a steel helmet this time.....:goodidea:

Good point!

Bodge just texted me asking if that was a step on the your Sherman. I tried for about half an hour to explain that in fact it was your head. You just can't get through to that lad. :sweat:

We now have a new visitor centre ( posh word for tea hut!!) next to the ambulance shed and able to supply the avid traveller with tea and coffee. Plus the big bonus for this years event fully plumbed toilets, so theres no long walk back to the tech site for a pee!!

Will post some pictures of this rather impressive structure, all constructted by OAP's except for myself of course!!

As for the HMVF crew well up here in Suffolk two's a crowd so with five or more we can have a party.

As for the 493rd, they flew their first combat mission on D-day and lost two B-24's in a collision over the beaches, so for those unable to get to France Debach will do nicely.

• 3 weeks later...

very good

looking forward to this event... albeit without me truck :(

still, I'll be hanging round the flight control trailer which will be fun 'n' watching jessie getting on the sherman... he'll do it all wrong... he won't kick anyone or anything!

• 2 weeks later...